The ECE Decathlon – There are lots of “What if’s?” in the world of early childhood education. Many of these become real events that require educators to complete certain tasks that require a certain level of fitness and mobility. This workshop focuses on getting educators equipped to complete/compete in the “ECE Decathlon,” 10 acts of fitness that equate to events common in preschools. Each movement can be attained through scalable exercises and classroom implementation that can help create a group of educators that align more with the athletes they truly are. Programs who participate in the ECE Decathlon Program are eligible to schedule a Mr. Matty’s World “Educator Field Day-cathlon” party for your educators, students and families. This can be a great opportunity to pair with a school fundraiser.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for booking and information.
Here are the ten movements associated with the ECE Decathlon:
- THE SQUAT – Progression from assisted squat using chair to holding a full squat position for 30 seconds.
- LAY DOWN + GET UP – Progression from Laying down (front and back) and getting up using all limbs to performing without use of hands/arms.
- WEIGHTED SQUAT – Progression from body-weight squat to lifting children (30 lbs) properly from squat starting position
- SANDBAG CARRY – Progression from carrying child (30 lbs) as far as capable to across campus distance.
- TWO FOOT JUMP- Both feet off of ground. Stationary. Forward and backward. Left and right. Measure height, distance or reps for progression.
- TENNIS BALL HAND TOSS – Tossing tennis ball in an arc from hand to hand. Work on building height of arc.
- TOE TOUCH – Progression from bending forward using hip hinge/flat back as far as possible to touching toes/floor flat-hand touch.
- 50 YARD DASH – Timed 50 yard or across playground sprint. Progression from speed walk to full sprint.
- BRANCH/MONKEY BAR HANG – Progression hang from bar/tree branch up to 30 seconds to pull-up reps.
- ARMY CRAWL/BACK SHUFFLE – Progression Army crawl and back shuffle 10 feet timed to performing with weight/child.